George lives and works in East Sussex UK where he converted a Victorian school building into a studio. He works mainly on commission, but always has a range of sculptures available. His work may be seen at Sculpture at Goodwood in West Sussex and at Storm King Art Center in Mountainville, New York, USA.
He left school at 14 gaining a range of skills as an apprentice sheet metal worker at Goole Shipyards in Northern England. He won a rarely awarded scholarship to Doncaster School of Art followed by a scholarship for post-graduate studies, trained under Professor John Skeaping, at the Royal College of Art, London, where at the time he was the youngest ever student to have been admitted.
George Cutts is a great innovator, the first sculptor in the world to combine stainless steel and stone, and where he has lead many others have followed. His static and mobile sculptures are known and appreciated worldwide. He works dynamically on a very large scale.
George is looking for a suitable site to place the tallest moving sculpture in the world, a new concept in kinetics, which attracted the attention of Lord Foster.
- Royal College of Art - Visiting Senior Lecturer
- Royal Academy Schools - Visiting Senior Lecturer
- Trent Polytechnic - Visiting Senior Lecturer
- Chelsea School of Art - Part -time Senior Lecturer
- Ravensbourne College of Art - Part-time Senior Lecturer
- Portsmouth Polytechnic - Part-time Senior Lecturer
- 1st Prize Winner Overall 2006 International Kinetic Art Competition, KAO.
- 1st Prize category winner 2006 International Kinetic Art Competition, KAO.
- 2006 Outstanding Award for presentation of ‘Stone & Stainless’, Olympic Park, Beijing, China
- Elected Fellow of the Royal Society of British Sculptors
- Marsh Fountain of the Year Award. The Fountain Society, London & Marsh Foundation
- Elected Associate of the Royal Society of British Sculptors
- Elected Member of the Rye Society of Artists
- 1st Prize Young Contempories. Institute of Contemporary Art, London, UK
Collections Private & Public
- Lord Rothschild, Waddesdon Manor, Buckinghamshire, UK
- Professor Hans Rausing, Wadhurst Park, East Sussex, UK
- Senator John Glenn, USA
- Crown Prince Fahd, Saudi Arabia
- The Ulla and Heiner Pietzsch collection, Berlin, Germany
- Sheikh of Qatar, Qatar
- Richard Branson, London, UK
- Storm King Art Center, New York, USA
- Castrol Museum, Castrol HQ, Swindon, Wiltshire, UK
- Dordrecht Museum, Dordrecht Park, The Netherlands
- Lord Rothschild, Waddesdon Dairy, Buckinghamshire, UK
Public Sculpture Park
- Consecutive since 1990 - Sculpture at Goodwood, Chichester, UK
Exhibited throughout the UK and Europe to include
- Contemporary Steel, Folio Gallery, Burlington Street, London, UK
- Cutting Edge, Gallery 24, London, UK
- Ben Dubose Gallery, Houston, Texas, USA
- Sculpture in Crystal, Mineral Gallery, Albermarle St, London UK
- Steel Reflections, Art in Industry, Breda, The Netherlands
- 2007 - Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden, Surrey, UK
- 2007 - Artdejarden Summer Exhibition, Rutland, UK
- The Alive & Well Dog Project, GOSHCC, London, UK
- International Sculpture Exhibition, Beijing, China
- Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, Italy
- Mipim, Cannes Festival, France
- Royal Academy of Art, London, UK (Invited Artist)
- Chichester Cathedral, West Sussex, UK
- Almelo Biennial International, The Netherlands
- Centre for the Arts. V.B.K.D. Dordrecht, The Netherlands
- The Garden Gallery, Hampshire, UK
- Maidstone Museum and Art Gallery, Kent, UK
- Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, East Sussex, UK
- Barbican Centre, London, UK
- Slotzeist Castle, Cultural Centre, Zeist, The Netherlands
- Barcelona Biennial, Spain
- Selected to represent Sculpture at Goodwood “Art 99” London, UK
- RIBA Centenary, Olympia, UK
- Bankside, Royal Shakespeare Theatre, London, UK
- Art in Steel, Breton House, London, UK
- Best of British Sculpture. Royal Glasgow Institute of Fine Art, Scotland, UK
- Invite Guilin Yuzi Paradise International Sculpture Symposium, China
- International sculpture symposium, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Woodlands. Hastings Civic Council, East Sussex, UK
- 2007 - ‘Interactive Artwork’ Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital, Brighton, UK
- 2007 - Elstone Hayes Associates, Light Globe, U.K.
- 2007 - Private commission, Laurent Delaye, Saville Row, UK
- ‘New Moon’. Water Sculpture, Venice, Italy
- ‘Naxos’ kinetic Sculpture. SeaCon Wharf, London, UK
- ‘Snow in Spring’ kinetic Sculpture. South Thames Region, Feltham, London, UK
- ‘Tilting Feature’. Butlers & Colonial Wharf, London, UK
Documentaries & Publications
- Walking with Sculptors, Jeremy Isaacs Productions.
- Howard Jacobson takes on The Turner. Channel 4